Fwd: I am back with new address

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Tue Feb 18 23:26:07 GMT 2003

On Tuesday 18 February 2003 15:44, Vadim Plessky wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 February 2003 22:41, Harri Porten wrote:
> |  On Tue, 11 Feb 2003, Vadim Plessky wrote:
> |  > KMail hangs after getting 130 messages out of 1700 and than
> |  > starts to download from the beginning, Mozilla Mailer hangs at
> |  > the same place and refuses to download mails at all after this.
> |  > [any tips how to clean out all mails from that server would be
> |  > appreciated, I can give mail server address and password
> |  > off-list, too; server is POP3 account and doesn't has IMAP]
> |
> |  telnet into the POP3 server (port 110), look at the messages
> | around no 130, delete any offending ones and try again.
> | Instructions can be found at
> |
> |    http://www.wowarea.com/english/help/poptel.htm
>
> Thanks, Harri, this was quite useful info!
>
> ok, I connected to my account, and invoked LIST command, which
> listed: [skipped previous 2381 message]
> 2382 3648
> 2383 2858
> .
> LIST 2383
> +OK 2383 2858
> LIST 2384
> -ERR  No such message
> LIST .
> Connection closed by foreign host.

> Note small "." at the end of the list.

The "." marks the end of the message list (cf. RFC 1939).

> When I listed just message 1
> LIST 1
> +OK 1 5035
>
> there was no '.' at the end.

This is also correct according to RFC 1939.

> Now I recall that KMail (1.5, KDE 3.1) was exactly saying about
>    Wrong server response  "."

This shouldn't happen (obviously). Did you see anything special in the
output of LIST around message 130? Try "RETR 130" (resp. try this for
the message where KMail hangs). Do you see anything fishy, e.g. a line
with a single dot in the middle of the message?

Regards,
Ingo