kjava and https support

Helio Chissini de Castro helio at conectiva.com.br
Thu Feb 13 02:14:08 GMT 2003

On Wednesday 12 February 2003 23:59, George Staikos wrote:
>    I tried this site and it seems to freeze java on me.  I did notice at
> least one error (not an exception) go by on the debug console.  What do you
> see?

With java console enabled ( sorry for large dump ):

Java VM version: 1.4.0
Java VM vendor:  IBM Corporation
Unable to load JSSE SSL stream handler, https support not available
bad DocBase URL
Backtrace:
java.net.MalformedURLException: unknown protocol: https
	at java.net.URL.<init>(URL.java:609)
	at java.net.URL.<init>(URL.java:499)
	at java.net.URL.<init>(URL.java:448)
	at
org.kde.kjas.server.KJASAppletClassLoader.getLoader(KJASAppletClassLoader.java:28)
	at
org.kde.kjas.server.KJASAppletContext.createApplet(KJASAppletContext.java:131)
	at
org.kde.kjas.server.KJASProtocolHandler.processCommand(KJASProtocolHandler.java:181)
	at
org.kde.kjas.server.KJASProtocolHandler.commandLoop(KJASProtocolHandler.java:86)
	at org.kde.kjas.server.Main.main(Main.java:149)
Something bad happened in createApplet: java.lang.NullPointerException
Backtrace:
java.lang.NullPointerException
	at
org.kde.kjas.server.KJASAppletContext.createApplet(KJASAppletContext.java:139)
	at
org.kde.kjas.server.KJASProtocolHandler.processCommand(KJASProtocolHandler.java:181)
	at
org.kde.kjas.server.KJASProtocolHandler.commandLoop(KJASProtocolHandler.java:86)
	at org.kde.kjas.server.Main.main(Main.java:149)

But Magnus mail me a bit ago and ask me to put in core-devel with some hints
that i'm unaware before.. I'm cut'n'paste below..

<magnus.kessler>
This is a known problem, and AFAIK mentioned somewhere on the kjava page. For
https to work you need the JSSE libraries, which for versions older than
Sun's JDK 1.4 you can download from the Sun website. JSSE comes as part of
Sun's JDK/JRE 1.4. IBM's JDK (even 1.4) unfortunately does not contain the
JSSE classes (they are probably not allowed to distribute them). Just install
the JSSE jar into your jre's lib/ext directory and you should be ready to go.

> The main question is:
> Has anything that we need do in kjava to fix that ? If yes, i'll want to
> take a shot, but i don't know much about this part of KDE code and need some
> directions to start.

Probably nothing to do for you, see above.
<end msg>

Hope this help some..

[]'s

- --