How to display file names

Christian Mueller cmueller at gmx.de
Sat Dec 13 14:28:18 GMT 2003

Am Samstag, 13. Dezember 2003 14:55 schrieb Karl-Heinz Zimmer:
> On Samstag, 13. Dezember 2003 13:36, André Wöbbeking wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > how should a file like "bla %2F foo" be displayed? As
>
>   ^^^
>
> > 1) "bla %2F foo"
> > 2) "bla %252F foo" (like in Konqueror's copy dialog)
> > 3) "bla / foo" (like in Konqueror's views)
> >
> > I think it should be 1) as it is the real name. What do you think?
>
> I think the answer depends on the "where".
>
> In views seen by normal users IMHO it would be best to show things in
> a way people easily understand, this would be 3).
>
> In views normally seen by developers or experienced unix-users perhaps
> the "raw" form 1) would be better.
>
> Just my 2 pence - of course I might be wrong.  :-)
>
> Karl-Heinz

I never noticed before, but it's exactly how André described it.
A file created on the command line with
touch 'bla %2F foo'
shows up like that in the different places.
IMHO 1) is the only correct way.  After all this *is* the file name.
I'd call 2) and 3) bugs.  Or am I missing something?

Christian.