dcopidl vs DCOPReply

Alexander Kellett lypanov at kde.org
Fri Aug 1 07:01:12 BST 2003

On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 11:05:47PM -0500, George Staikos wrote:

>    I'm going to ask one more time before I make the decision myself.  Which
> one should be repaired, dcopidl or the DCOPReply code (which uses
> dcopTypeName())?  dcopTypeName(long) returns "long".  dcopidl converts "long"
> to "long int", which means that using longs with dcop idl doesn't work.  The
> string compare clearly fails.  Likewise I see "ulong" as "ulong" vs "unsigned
> long".  I'm sure there are more inconsistencies or missing conversions too.
> This is a rather major bug in DCOP, IMHO.  I had code silently failing (only
> a console message which was missed since it's a kded module) for days without
> realising it.

imo the one if any that changes binary / network compatiblity
should be modified. at a guess this would probably be dcopreply.
therefore, and therefore. use of "long int". although the
description someone gave of the c/c++ standards on this made
me think that long would be the prefered form.

ciao,
Alex