KPrefs status

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Fri Aug 1 00:57:56 BST 2003

On Friday 01 August 2003 01:29, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 12:45:14AM +0200, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> > - I added cfgc, the configuration compiler, which creates KPrefs
> > subclasses from configuration-description files.
> >
> > It uses an XML description
>
> i don't like that part. kconfig xt will solve this differently - and
> i'd prefer to have only one config description language (i.e.,
> formalized config comments) in kdelibs. you could use your experience
> with this language to help design the new kconfig stuff, though.

What is kconfig xt? The XML descripition I currently use is by no means
a language. It's a description as simple and as powerful as XML
descriptions are.

> > and convert this into C++ code.
>
> fwiw, it might be worth checking, which things (particularily type
> checking, enum conversions, etc.) considered for kconfig would be
> duplicated in kprefs - i'd prefer not to have any, so it would be
> strictly speaking better to implement (or at least design exactly)
> kconfig xt first.

I agree that we should avoid duplicated code, but currently I don't see
any. Kprefs is a working implementation with an almost finished design.
What exactly do you think should be done differently?