KPrefs status

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Fri Aug 1 01:31:25 BST 2003

On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 01:57:56AM +0200, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> What is kconfig xt?

heh - short memory, eh? the core-devel archives will certainly help ... ;)

> The XML descripition I currently use is by no means a language. It's a
> description as simple and as powerful as XML descriptions are.

that depends on the definition of language ...

> > fwiw, it might be worth checking, which things (particularily type
> > checking, enum conversions, etc.) considered for kconfig would be
> > duplicated in kprefs - i'd prefer not to have any, so it would be
> > strictly speaking better to implement (or at least design exactly)
> > kconfig xt first.
>
> I agree that we should avoid duplicated code, but currently I don't see
> any.

of course not, because kconfig xt does not exist yet.

> Kprefs is a working implementation with an almost finished design.

as opposed to kconfig xt, which is mostly vaporware.
but given that kconf xt will hopefully become reality, and if it does it
will live one layer below kprefs, it would make sense to build it first
for obvious reasons.

> What exactly do you think should be done differently?

for now nothing, because the prerequisites for a useful evaluation in
the context i mean are missing ... :}

greetings