kdelibs/kdeui

Antonio Larrosa Jiménez larrosa at kde.org
Mon Apr 14 16:39:28 BST 2003

El Lunes, 14 de Abril de 2003 16:21, Waldo Bastian escribió:
> I agree with you that this behavior is stupid. The problem is that this
> stupid behavior has been released and that applications depend on it.

Yep, that's the problem.

> > > this action is added automatically in KDE 3.1.2 then applications
> > > written against 3.1.2 (which are then unlikely to add this manually
> > > to their own XML file) will have this menu-item missing when run
> > > against 3.1.1
> >
> > Yes, but that was because of a bug in 3.1.1. According to your
> > reasons, I understand that the patch should also be removed from HEAD,
> > because then, kopete (for example) which tries to work with any 3.x
> > kdelibs version will have problems (getting two tip actions in the
> > help menu of HEAD if kopeteui.rc includes help_show_tip, and getting
> > no tip action at all with kde 3.1.1 if they don't include it).
>
> Ugh. With KMail in head I have now two tip menus as well indeed.

You have to recompile KMail, I removed the action from its .rc file. Of
course that meants that kmail from 3.2 will not show the tip action if
running with kdelibs 3.1.1 (but I suppose kmail depends on kdelibs 3.2 so
that's not a problem). The problem comes with other applications which we
cannot fix or that want to work across multiple kdelibs releases.

> I'm afraid we should do (3). Maybe someone on kde-core-devel has a
> better solution.

Hmmm, I have an idea that might work. We could change the action name from
help_show_tip to something else like help_show_tipofday and include that
one in ui_standard.rc (in 3.1.1 and HEAD). That way, people using
KStdAction::tipOfDay from 3.1.2 will create an action help_show_tipofday
which will be found in ui_standards.rc and if you want your app to work
also on 3.1.1, you include help_show_tip in your own rc file. Also, people
who are using tipOfDay and which include the help_show_tip action in their
rc files, don't have to do anything, as it will simply be ignored when
linking to 3.1.2 or 3.2 . What do you think? I don't think the
documentation says anything about the name of the action, so nobody should
depend on it.

If you don't like it and nobody has a better idea I'll revert the patch
tomorrow afternoon.

Greetings,

--
Antonio Larrosa Jimenez
KDE developer - larrosa at kde.org
http://developer.kde.org/~larrosa/
Nothing is so good that somebody, somewhere, will not hate it.