[Kroupware] Re: Preannounce: Kroupware Project started

Bo Thorsen bo at sonofthor.dk
Wed Sep 11 15:20:58 BST 2002

On Wednesday 11 September 2002 15:59, Roberto H. Alsina wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 11 2002 at 02:49:20am +0200, Martin Konold wrote:
> > On Wednesday 11 September 2002 12:34 am, Michael Brade wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > > Now, already the first technical question: why did you choose Cyrus
> > > IMAP instead of Courier IMAP?
> >
> > Basically I think both are nice oss sw.
> >
> > We chose Cyrus IMAP for several reasons including but not limited are
> > extrem scalability to many thousands of users.
>
> I can vouch for it. It is a bit of a pain to setup, but it works for easily
> ten times the user load of uw. All distributions should come with it,
> configured with PAM auth.
>
> > A powerful and standard conformant scripting language (Sieve).
>
> A way to upload kmail filters into sieve would kick ass. I hope you have
> that planned :-)

Won't happen - at least not from our side - because it's going to kill
scalability of the server (yes, you could do some admin settings for this or
only allow some things or all sorts of other stuff that a tight deadline
doesn't permit us). Two other approaches are hopefully implemented though:

Filters can be applied to the headers when you're told about new mail. I don't
know about your filters, but mine only filters on header stuff. And it
usually performs two actions: Move to another folder (can be done on the
server with IMAP) and possibly change my identity (which doesn't concern
IMAP).

I also expect that many will synchronize by copying everything to the local
cache. When you do this, you can apply the full range of KMails filters.

The common thing with these two is that it's done in the client, and that is
the best. Consider a server with a million users spending 99% cpu time on
filtering - not exactly impressive. So for now we won't spend time on it, but
it's an open project, so if someone volunteers...

Bo.

     Klarälvdalens Datakonsult  |   Denmark