Freedesktop stuff (ok to commit?)

Zack Rusin zack at kde.org
Fri Oct 25 17:14:15 BST 2002

On Friday 25 October 2002 04:21, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> On Friday 25 October 2002 07:23, Zack Rusin wrote:
> > Ave,
> >
> > we've been sitting on this patch for a very long time now. Red-Hat
> > guys (Harald Hoyer to be exact) even emailed this list and we still
> > have only partially committed their patch saying that it's in. The
> > kicker stuff is in but the kwin patch hasn't been applied.
> > Therefore right now
>
>  It's kdecore, not KWin patch, to be exact.

Yes, It's not KWin it's kwin.cpp patch to be exact ;)

> > we only have partial support for the Freedesktop docking standard,
> > since we're in a deep freeze I'd like to ask everyone involved - OK
> > to commit?
>
>  The code fails to dock if the app is started before the panel or if
> the panel restarts/crashes (not sure how likely is anything from this
> in GNOME). I also wonder how much it has been actually tested (for
> example, what would happen when running KDE with
> http://icculus.org/openbox/ , which seems to support KDE docking, yet
> it's not KWin). Not that I personally care that much.

Yes, that's my main concern (testing of that code) as there's not many
people using KDE with a different WM than KWin. Fortunately KWin users
won't suffer any inconveniences as the code path for them will remain
the same. The only people affected by this patch will be the more
advanced users who decided to use KDE but not KWin.

Zack

--
Last week, I left my 2 XP CD's on my dashboard in plain view.
Someone broke into my car and left 2 more.