Kicker child panels' PanelAppletOpMenu

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Thu Oct 17 00:51:22 BST 2002

On Tuesday 15 October 2002 23:41, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> short story: the "fix" in there is a nasty hack and certain (rather
> annoying/broken/uptight) compilers won't compile it. maybe i'll take a look
> at it again and see if i can find a less-nasty hack that works ;-)

Ok, found the problem.  You're using RTTI with a dynamially loaded object --
which isn't linked in.  Panel extensions, as I'm sure you know, are
dynamically loaded.

There's an ugly solution to this (which I just mentioned to Aaron on IRC, but
he seems to be AFK), which involves moving the child panel extension code to
kicker/core.  It now builds and fixes the bug, but is quite dirty.  I'll see
if I can find a less dirty way of fixing this in the next couple of days.  If
not, this can be kept around as a last-ditch fix before the release.  I'll
make sure that *something* fixes the bug before the release.

Anyway, I have this around on my harddrive.

This is crying out for a redesign, but that's unfortunately beyond the scope
of 3.1.  I'll see if I can find something that's slightly less ugly soon.

-Scott

--
The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it
is not utterly absurd.