Kicker child panels' PanelAppletOpMenu

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Wed Oct 16 07:47:13 BST 2002

On Tuesday 15 October 2002 23:41, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> not only did i explicitly remove it, i was also the one who explicitly put
> it in ;-P

Ah, I saw all of the "ugliest hack ever" warning in there and assumed that
they had been added when the cooresponding code was commented out.

> well, no. the code that is in there (Panel::the()) was the original code.
> the parent-finding code that is commented out was an attempt to fix the
> braindamage after noticing what a usability botch-up it is. the code was
> then commented out when people had trouble compiling it. *sigh*

Ok, things are starting to make a bit more sense.  This also explains my
compile errors after uncommenting it.  But this gives me a place to start
hacking at; I'll take a look at what's going on later today.

> short story: the "fix" in there is a nasty hack and certain (rather
> annoying/broken/uptight) compilers won't compile it. maybe i'll take a look
> at it again and see if i can find a less-nasty hack that works ;-)

Yeah, agreed that it's nasty, but by the time that I finally understood it, I
was already mentally formulating a similar nasty hack.  ;-)

The other thing that was in my mind, though I've yet to flesh it out, would be
to just add a bit more information in some of the "parent" classes that
should make thing a bit more clear.  Again, I'll take a look at this later
today.

> the real fix requires some fairly substantial design fixes in kicker itself.
> hopefully 3.2 will see those changes occur (he says looking in the mirror)

Yep.  I've heard you mention such and am all for it; in fact as time permits
I'd love to help out.

Cheers,

-Scott

--
If you want to get laid, go to college, but if you want an education, go to
the library.