Start new session...

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Wed Oct 9 04:51:17 BST 2002

On Tue, Oct 08, 2002 at 10:34:39PM -0400, George Staikos wrote:
> Yes, I think it should be "Start new session...".

well ... :)

> I think the current behaviour is very dangerous.  Here's why:
> [some good reasons]

>     What we need:
>
> - A message box to let the user know what is happening and confirm/cancel.

granted.
what do the i18n people say? again, it would affect kicker, kdesktop and
kdestop_lock (i hate this code duplication ...) and it would be a rather
longish text for a message box.

> This should not have the "Do not show me again" box.  It's just not a
> safe thing imho.

that's paranoid.
the thing that is really missing is a way to turn off the feature in the
control center, so if you found it unusable/useless, you could get rid
of it. currently the only way is editing Xservers by hand, which hardly
can be called a solution.

> - A warning in the message box that says that some hardware cannot
> handle this behaviour and it could cause lockups and/or fail.

if you want ...
note: this is not a hardware thing, but always broken drivers. one more
reason for the vendors to fix their drivers. :)

> - A way to manage the sessions

http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=103248620916086&w=2
(and why it's already in head: :})
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=103347829001958&w=2

> It would even be nice to be able to get a chooser from there too.

say hi to the make_it_cool branch or risk being killed by merging it
into head now. :)

greetings