KDE 3.1 final tarballs

Trevor Harmon trevor at vocaro.com
Tue Nov 26 03:20:34 GMT 2002

> How did you get the idea that you were only allowed to fix showstopper
> bugs during the RC cycle?

The KDE 3.1 Release Plan at
http://developer.kde.org/development-versions/kde-3.1-release-plan.html says:
"Monday September 30, 2002: i18n string freeze. The i18n strings are frozen.
The HEAD branch is frozen for release. Any non-trivial patches to CVS have to
be approved by at least one other related developer."

I thought this meant that, since Sept. 30, I can't go to bugs.kde.org, find
just any old bug, and apply a patch for it. It has to be a serious bug, such
as a crash or file corruption/deletion. And even then, my patch must be
reviewed by another developer. Otherwise, my bug fix may have a side-effect
that introduces more bugs, which would then have to be fixed, which may cause
more side-effects, and so on and so on, causing the release schedule to drag
on forever. I thought that was the whole point of freezing the HEAD. Or have
I misunderstood something yet again?

Trevor