KDE 3.1 final tarballs

Thiago Macieira thiagom at wanadoo.fr
Tue Nov 26 06:29:03 GMT 2002

Trevor Harmon wrote:
>The KDE 3.1 Release Plan at
>http://developer.kde.org/development-versions/kde-3.1-release-plan.html
> says: "Monday September 30, 2002: i18n string freeze. The i18n strings are
> frozen. The HEAD branch is frozen for release. Any non-trivial patches to
> CVS have to be approved by at least one other related developer."
>
>I thought this meant that, since Sept. 30, I can't go to bugs.kde.org, find
>just any old bug, and apply a patch for it. It has to be a serious bug, such
>as a crash or file corruption/deletion. And even then, my patch must be
>reviewed by another developer. Otherwise, my bug fix may have a side-effect
>that introduces more bugs, which would then have to be fixed, which may
> cause more side-effects, and so on and so on, causing the release schedule
> to drag on forever. I thought that was the whole point of freezing the
> HEAD. Or have I misunderstood something yet again?

Yes, and that's probably the source of your misunderstanding.

"non-trivial" doesn't mean "showstopper". It means that any commits that are
not simple one-lined patches fixing the initialisation of a variable or
things like that must go through someone else, who will say, "this patch will
not break yet more code". The idea is that you have your work confirmed by
someone else, because we all know that we don't see our own mistakes. You can
read your code three times and not find an error, but get a new pair of eyes
and he'll spot the error the first thing.

As for bugs, yea, you may fix them. We want them to be fixed! We want KDE 3.1
to go out with as few known bugs as possible.

--
  Thiago Macieira - UFOT Registry number: 1001
 thiagom at mail.com
   ICQ UIN: 1967141  PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358
     Registered Linux user #65028