Experiences with KDE-CVS at LinuxWorldExpo

Marc Mutz Marc.Mutz at uni-bielefeld.de
Sun Nov 10 15:04:20 GMT 2002

On Sunday 03 November 2002 13:26, Ralf Nolden wrote:
<snip>
> > About deployment on thousands of desktops I can assure you that
> > this can be rather easily done with different technologies already
> > today.
>
> I know most are currently handling this over LDAP today to change the
> configuration for the users.

I think it's more like keeping a central config server vs. each user
having it's config stored in $HOME. Some distributions are already
quite good at replicating a master install onto masses of clients, but
for the contral config server thing, LDAP and ACAP backends to KConfig
are very much needed. Making KConfig work for LDAP as-is (ie. without
needing to provide schemas for each app's config file) may be hard to
do, not sure if ACAP isn't as strict about this.

> We're facing a similar problem because
> it's just not done with providing a good /etc/skel; so I'm looking
> also into a reasonable, easy solution with a HOWTO for sysads.

Another very important point. (Not only) with the powerful kiosk
functionality, we need Admin's Manuals in addition to User's Manuals
for most KDE applications. Those should point to a Kiosk manual that
describes $e and $i and they should include descriptions for each
config option, plus discussing backup-releated things, like the
locations of all files releated to that program ("Where does Konq keep
it's http cache?", "Where does KMail store it's filters?").

I know people who desperately searched for an Admin's Guide to KMail or
ar least asked "how do I backup all of KMail's config"?

Marc

--
memAlloc() Amnesia Error: Out of Memory