Experiences with KDE-CVS at LinuxWorldExpo

Ralf Nolden nolden at kde.org
Sun Nov 10 17:44:26 GMT 2002

On Sonntag, 10. November 2002 16:04, Marc Mutz wrote:
> On Sunday 03 November 2002 13:26, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> > We're facing a similar problem because
> > it's just not done with providing a good /etc/skel; so I'm looking
> > also into a reasonable, easy solution with a HOWTO for sysads.
>
> Another very important point. (Not only) with the powerful kiosk
> functionality, we need Admin's Manuals in addition to User's Manuals
> for most KDE applications. Those should point to a Kiosk manual that
> describes $e and $i and they should include descriptions for each
> config option, plus discussing backup-releated things, like the
> locations of all files releated to that program ("Where does Konq keep
> it's http cache?", "Where does KMail store it's filters?").

There is at least kconfedit in kdenonbeta that is very good to use for
*documented* options. The other thing is that we would need a kconfig file
for each app that has all default setting types of the application which can
be used by sysadmins (which include the documentation). So, this all comes
down to a comment parameter in kconfig for each possible writeEntry that adds
a comment which we can change in the source code easily. Default values in
kconfig readEntry calls are still necessary though, to preserve the
application's consistency for running even without a default system-wide
configuration file. Just over that, we forgot to keep a default system-wide
config file for each app over the last years.

Hmm maybe we need a concept for handling this easier and better to manage for
programmers, too, so config options are handled collectively in special
functions automatically where the user can plug his options into for the
default configuration of his application. Maybe that's a missing point in the
application framework together with centralized LDAP-configuration
settings...a "manage" parameter that a sysad could turn on and off in a
config file storing the default settings of an app could handle those options
"no_override" in a global config would disallow the application to write
sections or disable the checkbox, radiobutton, whatever at all so the user
knows, ok, I can't change that because I'm not allowed to.

Just some collected ideas popping off of my head.

Ralf

> I know people who desperately searched for an Admin's Guide to KMail or
> ar least asked "how do I backup all of KMail's config"?
>
> Marc

- --
Ralf Nolden
nolden at kde.org