App duplication again (Re: new project in kdemultimedia)

David Faure david at mandrakesoft.com
Wed May 8 20:18:12 BST 2002

On Wednesday 08 May 2002 20:53, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 May 2002 08:49 am, Klas Kalass wrote:
> > So, to summarize:
> > KDE release will be regarded as a KDE Distribution with all the polishing
> > necessary (including application selection) and including all modules minus
> > kdenonbeta and kdeprime. kdeprime will be the module for all release-ready
> > apps that are not part of the official KDE and are released separately, but
> > take advantage of the KDE development process.
> >
> > If this idea is accepted as a solution I will take care of this module and
> > work on the automation. Help and suggestions will of course be very
> > wellcome
>
> Sounds like a good idea. I suggest to number this module so that we can have
> more than one. It's a pig to work on anything autoconf related in kdenonbeta
> because it's way too big and takes ages to build a new configure.
That's what create_makefiles is for, but your point is valid for the case where
the new app needs an own configure check.

> kdeprime as
> name sounds good to me. (That would become "kdeprime-1" then.) After looking
> at the other modules I think that a maximum of 15 applications per module is
> a good number.

"prime" basically means "quality", right?
Feels a bit strange to me to call separate apps "quality" - what does that imply
about the "core" KDE modules? ;-)
What about "kdeapps"?

David FAURE, david at mandrakesoft.com, faure at kde.org
http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~david/