App duplication again (Re: new project in kdemultimedia)

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Wed May 8 19:53:52 BST 2002

On Tuesday 07 May 2002 08:49 am, Klas Kalass wrote:
> Ok,
> I think we had a lot of very good arguments against a pure kdelibs/kdebase
> release (see esp. posts from Thomas Diehl, David Faure and Tim Jansen).
> This entire thread started because of application duplication and how much
> work it adds for non-coders. Because this comes up very often we need to
> find some kind of solution, I think.
>
> I like the idea of opening another module that is explicitely not part of
> the KDE release and would like to propose "kdeprime". To ensure it is not
> kdenonbeta2 there should be some rules:
> - Every app that is not maintained will be removed
> - Every app should be in a release state when a new KDE is released (to
> give an incentive for non-coders to work on the apps although they are not
> part of the official thing).
> - For an application to be moved to this module the same applies as for all
> other modules (except nonbeta), but the programs here do not follow a
> common theme (like multimedia, education etc.) and may duplicate
> functionality.
>
> - Applications that cannot be agreed upon to be in one of the other modules
> (for whatever reason) will be moved here, or out of KDE. No further
> discussion ;-)
>
> All applications in this module will be released individually, but with as
> much automation as possible.
>
> So, to summarize:
> KDE release will be regarded as a KDE Distribution with all the polishing
> necessary (including application selection) and including all modules minus
> kdenonbeta and kdeprime. kdeprime will be the module for all release-ready
> apps that are not part of the official KDE and are released separately, but
> take advantage of the KDE development process.
>
> If this idea is accepted as a solution I will take care of this module and
> work on the automation. Help and suggestions will of course be very
> wellcome

Sounds like a good idea. I suggest to number this module so that we can have
more than one. It's a pig to work on anything autoconf related in kdenonbeta
because it's way too big and takes ages to build a new configure. kdeprime as
name sounds good to me. (That would become "kdeprime-1" then.) After looking
at the other modules I think that a maximum of 15 applications per module is
a good number.

Cheers,
Waldo
bastian at kde.org  |   SuSE Labs KDE Developer  |  bastian at suse.com