App duplication again (Re: new project in kdemultimedia)

Klas Kalass klas.kalass at gmx.de
Wed May 8 21:37:10 BST 2002

Am Mittwoch, 8. Mai 2002 21:18 schrieb David Faure:
> On Wednesday 08 May 2002 20:53, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > On Tuesday 07 May 2002 08:49 am, Klas Kalass wrote:
> > > So, to summarize:
> > > KDE release will be regarded as a KDE Distribution with all the
> > > polishing necessary (including application selection) and including all
> > > modules minus kdenonbeta and kdeprime. kdeprime will be the module for
> > > all release-ready apps that are not part of the official KDE and are
> > > released separately, but take advantage of the KDE development process.
> > >
> > > If this idea is accepted as a solution I will take care of this module
> > > and work on the automation. Help and suggestions will of course be very
> > > wellcome
> >
> > Sounds like a good idea. I suggest to number this module so that we can
> > have more than one. It's a pig to work on anything autoconf related in
> > kdenonbeta because it's way too big and takes ages to build a new
> > configure.
>
> That's what create_makefiles is for, but your point is valid for the case
> where the new app needs an own configure check.
>
> > kdeprime as
> > name sounds good to me. (That would become "kdeprime-1" then.) After
> > looking at the other modules I think that a maximum of 15 applications
> > per module is a good number.
Good, so be it.

> "prime" basically means "quality", right?
> Feels a bit strange to me to call separate apps "quality" - what does that
> imply about the "core" KDE modules? ;-)
Did not think about that. The idea was that those apps are ready for KDE
primetime, thus kdeprime.

> What about "kdeapps"?
That sounds very generic and does not distinguish very well from kdenonbeta
(IMHO). And I wanted the name to imply positive things :-)

Please everyone mail suggestions to me (privately so we do not have another
"name-thread") and I will announce this new module with the new name on the
weekend.

Klas