App duplication again (Re: new project in kdemultimedia)

Thomas Diehl thd at kde.org
Tue May 7 09:07:11 BST 2002

Am Dienstag, 7. Mai 2002 07:38 schrieb Don Sanders:

> Occasionally core developers forget it but kdelibs and kdebase by
> themselves are not KDE, and they should not be released as KDE.
>
> As far as I'm concerned what makes up KDE is defined in the founding
> email and it includes a lot more than just libs and base.
>
> Having said that I don't have a problem with kdelibs/kdebase being
> released seperately but call it kde-core or something, don't call it
> KDE because it's not.

Thank you. This is exactly what I was about to say as well when I read the
above quote from Waldo.

If we give up on the idea of KDE as a complete desktop environment we give
up on its main reason for being, IMO. What would become of that whole
community thing if we totally atomize the work of all participants and stop
working to a common release which probably not only to me is also something
like "our distribution"?

If people need separate releases apart from or on top of that, fine, no
problem (they should only be aware, that it may be impossible to always
have translations, documentation etc. in place since many translation
"teams" are still more or less "one man shows"). If authors from the
outside need a better chance to benefit from CVS and if they need more room
for experimenting than kdenonbeta currently offers, sure, why not, if they
(or we) can think of something that is practicable with our resources.

Just let us find a way to reconcile this with the work of translators,
documenters, artists, and the very basis of what many or most of us were
trying to achieve here over the last years. If I'm not totally mistaken
what many of us were after was the idea of KDE "as a whole". And this
included applications that "should allow a user to do his everyday tasks
with it, like starting applications, reading mail, configuring his desktop,
editing some files, delete some files, look at some pictures,", it included
even games, newsreaders, drawing tools, and fun stuff. At least that is
what Matthias Ettrich's "founding mail" said back in 1996 and every single
of our release notes since then.

Regards,

Thomas

--