App duplication again (Re: new project in kdemultimedia)

Guillaume Laurent glaurent at telegraph-road.org
Mon May 6 23:55:13 BST 2002

On Monday 06 May 2002 22:47, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> I support that. I am not opposed to the idea of releasing KDE 3.1 as just
> kdelibs and kdebase and all the other packages could be released
> independently (ether as one big packages or on an app by app basis) and
> possibly on different schedules.

Gnome is more or less following this principle (e.g. a Gnome "release" is
actually a snapshot of all apps at a given point). It's a freakin' mess. The
big problem is that there's no incentive for maintainers to stabilise their
apps at some common point. Plus there's the fact that packaging requirements
go through the roof (each app has to be packaged seperately).

--
					Guillaume.
					http://www.telegraph-road.org