App duplication again (Re: new project in kdemultimedia)

Don Sanders sanders at kde.org
Tue May 7 06:38:53 BST 2002

> >On Monday May 06, 2002 01:47, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > > I support that. I am not opposed to the idea of releasing KDE
> > > 3.1 as just kdelibs and kdebase

Occasionally core developers forget it but kdelibs and kdebase by
themselves are not KDE, and they should not be released as KDE.

As far as I'm concerned what makes up KDE is defined in the founding
email and it includes a lot more than just libs and base.

Having said that I don't have a problem with kdelibs/kdebase being
released seperately but call it kde-core or something, don't call it
KDE because it's not.

On Tuesday 07 May 2002 07:51, Shawn Gordon wrote:
>  The CVS and the accompanying files are
> getting really really large, and now (well it's existed before) but
> you have this situation with KOrganizer and KAddressBook being in
> different repositories and moving anything starts to cause
> problems, so you end up with duplication.

Technical correction KOrganizer and KAddressbook are in the same
repository just in different packages.

The fact that many KDE applications are stored in the same cvs doesn't
cause duplication quite the opposite in fact. KDE cvs being the size
it is and KDE developers having the wide ranging access rights they
do leads to many benefits. One is allowing a capable devloper to go
through all of KDE and factor common code into a reused library. This
has happened many times in the past and is exactly what is being done
with KOrganizer and KAddressBook.

Don Sanders