App duplication again (Re: new project in kdemultimedia)

Thomas Diehl thd at kde.org
Sat May 4 17:32:28 BST 2002

Am Samstag, 4. Mai 2002 17:56 schrieb Neil Stevens:

> > 1) It makes the whole of KDE look pretty shitty if it becomes a mixture
> > of translated and untranslated or partly translated apps. (Yes, I know
> > that from experience. This is how I became a translator in the first
> > place.)
>
> OK fine, let's not care about user wants anymore, just how KDE "looks."

No idea where you are taking that "just" from. But if you ask me if the look
is important the answer would be: yes. I would answer the same if one asked
about other important aspects and, of course, functionality. Don't see how
"user wants" and "KDE looks" would be mutually exclusive. On the contrary.

Besides: Since the user may have no clue what the untranslated app is
about (s)he will at least think (s)he is losing functionality, even if the
functionality is a complete duplicate of another, fully translated app.
Don't you think (s)he would "want" to know what the darn thing is about? So
who does not care about what users want? Really the translators?

Thomas

--
KDE translation: http://i18n.kde.org/
Deutsche KDE-Uebersetzung: http://i18n.kde.org/teams/de/