App duplication again (Re: new project in kdemultimedia)

alexpod alexpod at users.sourceforge.net
Sun May 5 02:05:26 BST 2002

Hello,

For the record, we've been discussing with Joseph Wenninger
(kreatecd/cdbakeoven) possible ways of merger. I'm of the opinion that
to create a fully featured app of this category takes too much time and
effort to be well done alone, while doing it part time.

I'm proposing, that there should be just one, fully featured KDE CD
Creation Studio, based on modular structure, where each part  of the app
could be developed on it's own. KDE has a whole bunch of fine examples
of that. Also, I can see how parts or at least ideas of cdbakeoven and
kreatecd could be reused, so that we have something going in relatively
short time.

Joseph (and I do not mean to state his opinion for him) mostly goes
toward creating common library sort of layer over recording tools and a
way to open each other's saved project files but still to keep GUI parts
separated.

The guy from K3B, on the other hand, always throws stuff like "mine is
the only usable..." etc, so I'm not sure how much cooperation could be
done with attitude like that.

I'm ready for some sort of merge.

Alex (cdbakeoven developer).