Proposal for KControl

Cristian Tibirna tibirna at kde.org
Sun Jun 30 00:33:46 BST 2002

On Saturday, 29 June 2002 16:51, ian reinhart geiser wrote:
> In the end what I am getting at is, can we limit what is done via the UI
> and make a ResEdit type of app that allows you to tweak things that only
> geeks really care about?

A start at this was done many times. The oldest I remeber is Antonio
Larrosa's, of 4-5 years ago (!!!)

The problem with the resedit approach is that we don't have the infrastructure
for it. It would become necessary, for a resedit to function, that all
KDE-compliant apps save _all possible_ configuration options in an XML file
in a stadardised file repository. I mention this, because Antonio's initial
work was based on parsing all config files available in
$KDE_HOME/share/config (and perhaps, if much increased complexity is
acceptable, hierarchically parse all rc files in all $KDEDIRS config
locations) and then, for each option read, have a factory generate a standard
widget: a text lineedit for text entries, a radiobutton for a bool entry, a
numedit, a color picker for a color entry etc. etc.

Again, problem with this aproach was that it is nowhere stated in the
styleguides that an app has to save all possible configuration options at
first run. And what happens with apps not yet ran at least once?

Cristian Tibirna .. tibirna at sympatico.ca
PhD student .. ctibirna at giref.ulaval.ca .. www.giref.ulaval.ca/~ctibirna
KDE developer .. tibirna at kde.org .. www.kde.org