Problem, kcmshell printmgr crashing in malloc()

Matthias Welwarsky matze at stud.fbi.fh-darmstadt.de
Wed Jun 12 09:39:04 BST 2002

On Wednesday 12 June 2002 09:40, Michael Goffioul wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > "kcmshell printmgr" crashes for me since I updated from cvs today. This
> > is the backtrace:
> >
> > malloc (bytes=12) at malloc.c:3746
> > 3746              set_foot(remainder, remainder_size);
> > (gdb) bt
> > #0  malloc (bytes=12) at malloc.c:3746
>
> [snip]
>
> I don't know where it comes from, I just give a short comment here.
> I experience this kind of crash (in malloc) when KDE was compiled
> with gcc-2.95(6) and -funroll-loops. I tried to debug it using gdb
> and valgrind but couldn't find any reason. Using gcc-3.1, I couldn't
> reproduce those crashes, whether -funroll-loops was used or not.

Hm, -funroll-loops is not included in -O2, is it? If so, then I don't have
this flag set in my compile options.

I really wonder what the error in KCGlobal valgrind reports is due to. It
looks rather serious, delete() on a memory region that has not been malloc'd
before. If this one corrupted the heap, I'm rather sure we'd see all kind of
funny errors hard to track.

regards,
	matze