Sub-library version numbers

Allan Sandfeld Jensen snowwolf at one2one-networks.com
Thu Jun 6 11:52:58 BST 2002

On Thursday 06 June 2002 05:22, Kurt Granroth wrote:

> > > Because then we're BIC? Old KDE 3.0.0 apps would still link against the
> > > original versions, which would no longer be present in KDE 3.0.2+.
> >
> > Why should the old ones be removed?
>
> Damn.. I forgot about the linking.  It looks like I'm going to have to do
> this with a patch in the debian builds.  That'll work since there hasn't
> been ANY KDE 3 packages released in Debian yet.
>
> FWIW, the reason I wanted to bump up the version numbers was to explicitely
> get rid of those versions in KDE3.  That's because they conflicted with the
> libs from KDE2 when you install both in /usr.  Basically, by not seeing
> this before we released KDE 3.0, we shot ourselves in the foot until KDE
> 4.0.  Oh well.

Generally there seems to be a problem with bumping library versions. Maybe
some should have responsibility for it? Maybe the release manager?

To take an example: libkdeui had bug fixes in KDE 3.0.1 and thus the version
should be 4.0.1. It is BC but expanded in KDE 3.1 and should therefore be
4.1.0. But in both instances it still has the old version number 4.0.0. The
same is true for most libraries in kdelibs and kdebase, and I dont think it
is going to change before someone takes responsibility for setting correct
version numbers.