Sub-library version numbers

Thiago Macieira thiagom at wanadoo.fr
Thu Jun 6 21:54:09 BST 2002

Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote
>To take an example: libkdeui had bug fixes in KDE 3.0.1 and thus the version
>should be 4.0.1. It is BC but expanded in KDE 3.1 and should therefore be
>4.1.0. But in both instances it still has the old version number 4.0.0. The
>same is true for most libraries in kdelibs and kdebase, and I dont think it
>is going to change before someone takes responsibility for setting correct
>version numbers.

That which you're describing is not a problem: it's intentional.

KDE doesn't change its library version numbers between releases, no matter how
many modifications are made or how important they are, as long as they aren't
BIC. So libkdecore.so.4 will be libkdecore.so.4.0.0 for all the 3.x lifetime
of KDE.

Personally, I don't like this policy, but that's how things are done around
here.

--
  Thiago Macieira - UFOT Registry number: 1001
 thiagom at mail.com
   ICQ UIN: 1967141  PGP: will create new keys. Erase the old ones!
     Registered Linux user #65028