Sub-library version numbers

Thomas Zander zander at planescape.com
Thu Jun 6 06:50:59 BST 2002

On Wed, Jun 05, 2002 at 08:22:53PM -0700, Kurt Granroth wrote:

> > > Because then we're BIC? Old KDE 3.0.0 apps would still link against the
> > > original versions, which would no longer be present in KDE 3.0.2+.
> >
> > Why should the old ones be removed?
>
> Damn.. I forgot about the linking.  It looks like I'm going to have to do
> this with a patch in the debian builds.  That'll work since there hasn't
> been ANY KDE 3 packages released in Debian yet.

But I (a debian user) want to be able to run binairies I got from company XYZ.
is that not impossible since they want to build against <any_distro> and have
links to the wrong libs?

Also I have never been successful in running KDE2 binairies alongside KDE3
anyway, they always crash; or just look horrible.  So we screwed up the
kde2 BackwardsCompatability anyway.  I'd say forget about it..

Hmm, that last sentence makes me realise why debian is taking so long :) Hope
they are less pessimistic then me about the outcome!
--
Thomas Zander                                           zander at planescape.com
                                                 We are what we pretend to be