Constructive feedback from Eugenia

Dawit A. adawit at kde.org
Fri Jul 12 07:15:09 BST 2002

On Thursday 11 July 2002 21:14, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Thursday 11 July 2002 03:31 pm, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > 2) KDesktop -> RMB on Icon -> Open With
> > Should be a submenu with a list of suitable applications (we know the
> > mimemtype!) and then as a seperate entry the open-with-dialog.
> > (I can do that :-)
>
> Look mommy, with no hands.

And I was about to reply with "it works that way here..." :)

> Anyway, I think it would be better to always have the menu the same, so
> that the first case would look like:
> 	"Open With >"
> 		"KPackage"
> 		---------
> 		"Other"

/me remember telling that to David a long time ago when that was being
implemented since the sub-menu approach was my idea IIRC.  At the time I
did not like that all the associated applications were directly listed in the
context menu.  However, David suggested (he'll correct me if I'm wrong:))
that if only one application is associated with a mime-type it would be much
easier/quciker for the user to find if it was listed above.  I did not much
care for that idea because it would be inconsistent just as you suggested.
Anyways, I personally think it should be like the way you outlined it above.

> I'm not sure how the "Open With" section should look like if there is no
> application listed at all. Strictly speaking you wouldn't need it at all
> then, because the "Open" option would act as "Open With" already anyway.

If there is no application associated then it becomes:
	Open With...

> In the case of kdesktop, the "Open" option (previously "Open In New
> Window") could also be named "Open with <appname>" but I'm not sure if that
> extra information is helpfull or distracting.

Hmm... It can even be argued that even "Open" or any varity on it is
unnecessary and redundant since it duplicates the functionality of the Open
With-> option...  I think the LMB would be enough for default action AFAIC.
I personally have never RMB clicked on an icon to select Open.  It is just
too much hassle when you can just LMB...  However, if I know that a given
mime-type opens with a certain application by default and I do not want that,
I RMB click on the icon to use the Open With->.  This story however is
completely different in a file manager like konqueror though since "Open in
New Window" (MMB) means something completely different than what it does on
the the desktop.  Hence, I personally think that the "Open" option should
completely be removed from the RMB in the desktop...

> Should the "Open With >" submenu be located directly under the "Open"
> option?

IMHO, no.  My argument for this is that "Open", which should be removed
completely :), is sort of like the default action, i.e. the LMB/MMB click
action.  "Open With..." are extra options that allow you to pick which I dare
to argue are used rarely.  So these items should be located below other
options which are like to be used more often that it.  At least that is how I
think Context menus should be organized ??

Regards,
Dawit A.