Constructive feedback from Eugenia

Rolf Magnus ramagnus at t-online.de
Fri Jul 12 11:26:45 BST 2002

On Friday 12 July 2002 03:14, Waldo Bastian wrote:

> Surprisingly we already do this, what confused me though is that if there
> is only one application (KPackage in my test case), we show
> 	"Open With..."
> 	"KPackage"
>
> But if there are two applications it becomes:
> 	"Open With >"
> 		"KWrite"
> 		"Kompare"
> 		---------
> 		"Other"
>
> I think such self-changing menu is confusing.

Especially, the first part is missing something important.

> Also, note that the
> "KPackage" in the case above is redundant since the "Open in New Window"
> option (Currently named "Open" here on my desktop, yay!) does the same.

But wouldn't that be just the self-changing menu you're talking about? And you
don't know that "Open" will open it in KPackage. I'd just expect all apps
that can open a file to be listed there, even if there is only one. It's just
more consistant.

> Anyway, I think it would be better to always have the menu the same, so
> that the first case would look like:
> 	"Open With >"
> 		"KPackage"
> 		---------
> 		"Other"
>
> I'm not sure how the "Open With" section should look like if there is no
> application listed at all. Strictly speaking you wouldn't need it at all
> then, because the "Open" option would act as "Open With" already anyway.

Maybe let them act the same. I think it's not a good idea to remove "Open
With" completely in this case, but

 	"Open With >"
 		---------
 		"Other"

Also looks kind of stupid, even without the separator. So probably, both
"Open" and "Open With" should directly open the selction dialog.

> In the case of kdesktop, the "Open" option (previously "Open In New
> Window") could also be named "Open with <appname>" but I'm not sure if that
> extra information is helpfull or distracting.

Maybe just "Open (<appname>)", so there is a hint about which app is default.
I don't think it's distracting.

> Should the "Open With >" submenu be located directly under the "Open"
> option?

Yes.

--
"The reason that you see open source there at all is because we came in and
said there should be a platform that's identical with millions and millions