Resedit (Was: Proposal for KControl)j

aleXXX alexander.neundorf at gmx.net
Thu Jul 4 22:59:32 BST 2002

On Thursday 04 July 2002 15:24, Rik Hemsley wrote:
> How is this 'binary' db to be accessed ? If it's by reading a file,
> then you have to wait for I/O, which is about a billion times slower
> than parsing some text. Or you could get it from a central server via
> a pipe or something. Context switches appear. Oh, and how slow is text
> config file parsing ? Did you measure it against 'binary' data ?
>
> Not trying to put a dampener on the idea, just going by instinct as
> to where the bottlenecks really are. Feel free to measure :)
>
> Rik

If I remember correctly approx. 0.25 sec from 1.5 sec total app startup on my
old slow box were spent in config file reading (including searching, parsing,
inserting the entries into the maps, merging and so on). So config file
reading is an issue. Don't know how much using some binary format would make
it faster though.

Bye
Alex