Resedit (Was: Proposal for KControl)j

aleXXX alexander.neundorf at gmx.net
Thu Jul 4 23:09:04 BST 2002

On Wednesday 03 July 2002 19:30, Alexander Kellett wrote:
> <thoughts>
>
> do all apps parse all config files?, isn't there only 3/4 files
> relevant for any given application?

Unfortunately I think this is not the case.
The system-global and user-local config files are read and merged, for the
gloabl kde config, the app config, icon config, icon theme config files,...

> looking at a strace shows:
>    large number of stat's for finding libs

Only thing to do about this is to configure your ld.so so, that the dirs
where the most libraries sit, are searched first.

>    huge amount of xft/x related font stuff
>    qtrc reading
>    locale stuff

>    icon stuff - i still wonder why it has to parse all dirs,
>                 and not just give 'unknown' icons for incomplete themes

Yes, it more or less looks in every possible subdir for an icon, in several
sizes, bit depths, themes,....
But at least the most common places at first.

If Waldo is right and Qt 3.1 will have icon loading on demand (i.e. read the
icon from disk when it is rendered the first time ?) this will speedup app
startup noticable. A lot (like more than 50 percent or so) of the time when
building the xml gui is spent loading all the icons. For konqy building the
xml gui takes quite some time, at least more than 1 sec, maybe even 2 sec,
saving 1 sec here would be a good thing :-)
(times measured on K6/200)

Bye
Alex