Severe thumbnail problems

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Sat Dec 21 21:10:47 GMT 2002

On December 20, 2002 16:44, Malte Starostik wrote:
> On Friday 20 December 2002 16:50, George Staikos wrote:
> > There are severe problems with the thumbnail code.  It seems to launch an
> > infiinite number of artsd processes and uses 100% cpu load on my laptop,
> > which I have set to NOT run artsd.  So I say to myself, that's ugly, but
> > I can launch kcontrol and just disable previews.  After searching around
> > for a while, the best I can find are:
> >
> > 1) Something about previews and kioslaves - very confusing gui in
> > general, and not very useful.
> > 2) KDesktop preview settings - they're all disabled.
> >
> > So I think, why on earth is it still making these thumbnails.  Then I am
> > told that it is in Konqueror under View->Previews...   Why do we have a
> > KControl module embedded in a menu item that only appears occasionally?
> > This is not right.
>
> Agreed. I'd still like the menu as a quick access method and for
> per-directory settings, but this should go into the kcontrol module too,
> for defaults.

   Sure that makes sense and I'm not against that.

> > I would like to either see a clean fix for both problems (horrible
> > configuration method, launching artsd when it should not/using 100% cpu),
> > or disable audio and video previews by default for 3.1.0.  Using 100% cpu
> > in the background without end is a showstopper as far as I'm concerned.
>
> Yes, but this is an artsd bug then, isn't it? It should a) not start artsd
> if it's disabled, even if client code tries to start it (just return a Null
> soundserver object) or would that break more than the current behaviour
> does? And of course even if it's started it shouldn't consume 100% CPU for
> not doing anything. What does it do with all the cycles? Busy waiting?

   Yes it should not try to start artsd.  I don't know how it's happening, and
it happens on my laptop.  I'll try to attach gdb next time I boot it up to
see where it is.  The fact that I sometimes have 10 artsd processes is really
a problem though.

--

George Staikos