bugs.kde.org -> bugzilla??

Don Sanders sanders at kde.org
Wed Aug 21 14:31:06 BST 2002

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

In answer to your initial question the basic problem voting with money
is trying to solve is to raise funds for a worthy cause. For example
transport and accomodation for KDE developers to attend a conference
and get together. Another example was feeding starving Ugandan
orphans, but some developers feel it is inappropriate for KDE to
officially involve itself with such an activity.

KDE e.V. does already collect money via the donations webpage but I
don't see why that should prohibit alternative forms of fund raising.
That's like a conventional charity saying 'but we already have a
normal mail address people can send donations to help cure cancer, so
why should we bother with a national cure cancer day, or a telethon
or website donations".

If a cause like KDE e.V. is worthy then I think it is justified to try
to come up with innovative ways of raising funds for this cause. I
don't think advertising for donations on the dot would be innovative
I think that would get annoying pretty quickly.

People repeatedly want to give donations in return for features being
implemented, yet we simply ignore them and their potential donation
even if the features are implemented regardless. Why not help people
get the features they want implemented and at the same time raise
money for KDE e.V?

Concerning your point about abusing the voting system. My problem with
abusing the voting system is that if I base my contributions partly
on which bugs are voted most important, then I consider abuse of the
bug reporting system a problem because it can waste my scare time.

There's also the fact that someone with a mental age of 12 years and
lots of free time has the same voting power as the CIO of a
multi-thousand employee company. Some may regard this situation as
egalitarian and desirable but I do not, because it skews the vote in
a way which is inconsistent with how I would like to set my
priorities.

The changes I propose may not benefit you. But if they result in
advantages for others and I'm prepared to do the work then why not?

Don.