Weird crash with QProgressDialog: Qt bug?

Michael Goffioul goffioul at imec.be
Fri Aug 9 15:55:14 BST 2002

> On Friday 09 August 2002 14:27, Simon Hausmann wrote:
> [snip]
> > Sounds pretty logical. I don't understand why QPD passes
> > topLevelWidget() instead of creator though. That sounds like the
> > real bug to me, as it violates the rule that the parent object a
> > derived class passes to the base class is passed as parent object to
> > the QObject ctor. The current behaviour looks inconsistent to that.
> >
> > Simon
>
> I don't understand it either, though it was a change done by me 2000/05/19
> 19:42:28 :-(
>
> Might have had something to do with transient-for dialog handling back then.
>
> I don't dare changing this in 3.0.x now, but we'll do it for 3.1.
>
> As a workaround for KDEPrint, you may call reparent() with creator as argument
> after you created the progress dialog.

Or create the dialog with creator->topLevelWidget() as argument.
It doesn't change anything, as long as you know it. IMO, maybe it
should be stated that creating a QProgressDialog with a non top-level
widget as creator might lead to crash. It took me a while to find
this out!!

Michael.

Michael Goffioul		IMEC-DESICS-MIRA
e-mail: goffioul at imec.be	(Mixed-Signal and RF Applications)
Tel:    +32/16/28-8510		Kapeldreef, 75
Fax:    +32/16/28-1515		3001 HEVERLEE, BELGIUM