Request to check in a new feature to KRegExpEditor.

Jesper K. Pedersen blackie at kde.org
Wed Aug 7 12:48:59 BST 2002

Thomas Zander <zander at planescape.com> writes:

| On Wednesday 07 August 2002 08:00, Jesper K. Pedersen wrote:
| > |
| > | You should have added it. You could have simply moved it to the feature
| > | list of KDE 3.2 if you wouldn't have finished it in time for KDE 3.1.
| > |
| > | That's correct.
| > |
| > |
| > | No exceptions are made. For no one. Sorry.
| >
| > I fell really sorry about this, the features are done.
| > I understand and accept the feature plan very much, but as I see it, you
| > are here enforcing the word of the plan rather than the spirit of the plan?
|
| I'm confused; you say you had the feature planned and started working on it
| quite some time ago. Since you felt it might not be stable in time, you did
| not intend to add it to the feature list.
I didn't say so. I had it planed for a long time, but never found the time
to work on it, until I had two weeks of holiday.

| Then you say that you understand that features not on the feature list should
| not be worked on. (you said that new features should not be started, but for
| the _testing_ this is the same)
Did I?

| Do you agree that a new feature should be in CVS for quite some time to find
| out all possible sideeffects and to allow all beta and RC testers to find
| bugs?
Sure, but given not-yet-made features - being on the list - are allowed
yet, I don't see why this point makes a difference.

| Also don't you feel that adding a feature might be controversial, and adding
| it a small amount of time before the release might not give you the warm
| reception you would like.. (Speaking in general here)
I don't get you? what do you mean by "give you the warm reception you would like"?

| In the end, you could have fixed bugs instead of creating the new feature. If
| you (and naturally all developers) do that, then the feature freeze will be
| shorter.
There was one bug on the buglist for KRegExpEditor, and that bug was fixed
as one of the first thing, while I worked along, I found new bugs which I
fixed.
I don't think you are fair when you say I could just have fixed bugs rather
than adding new features - I had no bugs to fix.