KDE Jabber Library

Simon Hausmann hausmann at kde.org
Sun Aug 4 11:40:36 BST 2002

On Sat, Aug 03, 2002 at 05:20:36PM -0700, Neil Stevens wrote:
> > With Kopetes dcop
> > interface exposeing the messageing internals things like Messageing
> > someone a vcard appointment or rightclick to send a file to someone
> > genericly becomes quite feasable.
>
> So you'd requre that all applications wanting to send messages or export
> presences to go through the *app*, rather than making direct connections?
> That's a terrible waste, and adds a needless dependency.  SMTP use doesn't
> require kmail, why should my app that wants Jabber have to go through
> Kopete?

Because that's the idea of reusable components. Talking to kopete
through a DCOP interface -- after asking the trader of an app
implementing the interface and after using klauncher to launch the
app and get the app id -- is much better than making every app that
wants to send a jabber message to link against a jabber library. Of
this isn't a general solution, but IMHO for simple send-and-forget
communication like with IM a using dcop seems much easier and
lightweight to me than using C++ directly.

Simon