netwm addition

Michael Zuercher mzuerche at iastate.edu
Sat Apr 20 22:27:30 BST 2002

I have been looking into the bugs involved with electric borders in kwin.
There are several bugs here, but one of the more obvious occurs w.r.t the
pager in a vertical kicker. In this situation, kwin and the pager don't agree
on the layout (ie, which desktops are above/beside each other), so when you
touch an electric border it moves to a different desktop than the naive user
would expect :-).

It seems to me that the best way to solve these problems is to add to the
netwm spec a new property: NETSize desktopLayout() const.  This would return
the vertical and horizontal layout of the desktops.  Window managers would be
encouraged to choose a specific layout, and clients should use this instead
of simply retrieving the number of desktops and inferring their layout
relative to one another. Window managers should also set the number as
before, so that older clients (or clients which do not care about layout) can
continue unchanged.

Any thoughts on this matter?

Regards,
Michael Zuercher