ksvg* and libart forking revisited

Werner Trobin trobin at kde.org
Sun Apr 21 09:41:47 BST 2002

Hi (WildFox)!

<rant>
At the end of the last thread about that topic I got the impression that
WildFox agreed to move libart out of kdecore. This didn't happen up to now,
so I'd like to remind you why keeping libart in kdecore isn't a good idea:

An application like karbon or kontour, using the KOffice fork of libart works
when started from the konsole, as it gets to use the libart version it linked
to (the one in lib/kopainter/...). When started from kdeinit it seems to mix
the two different libart versions (as only a part of libart is in kdecore).

This leads to crashes for some people (Lenny told me about crashes) and to
corrupted drawings for others as we're mixing rgb and rgba (check the 48KB
screenshot at: http://www.sbox.tugraz.at/home/t/trobin/snapshot2.png).

Can we please decide on *one* libart version and move it out of kdecore?
I don't have enough knowledge about all the libart issues, so I can't do it
unless you tell me which version to move to kdesupport.
<rant/>

Ciao,
Werner