Application duplication - kde modules

Christoph Cullmann crossfire at babylon2k.de
Sun Apr 21 22:32:23 BST 2002

On Sunday 21 April 2002 23:38, aleXXX wrote:
> On Sunday 21 April 2002 10:54, Christoph Cullmann wrote:
> > On Sunday 21 April 2002 02:14, Waldo Bastian wrote:

> > > If you keep that in mind and then look at CVS you see that kdelibs
> > > implements 1), kdebase implements 2) and the other modules together
> > > with 3rd party apps are responsible for 3).
> >
> > My thoughts about my prefererred KDE module list ;)
> >
> > 1. KDELIBS
> > - plain libs + interfaces, nothing else
> >
> > 2. KIOSLAVES
> > - the most common IO slaves, as they are very essential for third party
> > apps, which would not need kdebase (for example kmail would than only
> > depend on kdelibs + kdeioslaves + kdeparts and not kdebase, or ?)
>
> Yes, I had exactly the same idea today. At work we only installed kdebase
> and kdenetwork to get the smb (or smbro) and the lan ioslave.
> Additionally ioslaves are not very big (code-wise), so this modules won't
> get to big even with many ioslaves.
Yes, that was my thought, too.

> > 2. KDEPARTS
> > - most common kparts (khtml part, konsole part, kate part, ...), could be
>
> Yes, and kghostview, kview
Yes, just mentioned the first parts I remembered ;)

> > in kdelibs, too, but if we get more important parts, kdelibs would grow
> > even if not really everybody needs these parts for development of kde
> > apps (as they are more a runtime than a link time thingy, as long as the
> > common interfaces are in the libs)
> >
> > 3. KDEBASE
> > - kwin, kicker, kdesktop, kdm, kcontrol, just the sceleton of the desktop
> > environment (like Waldo wanted), no other apps (which means move konsole,
> > kate, kaddressbook, konqueror and some others to the matching kdeutils,
> > kdenetwork, .... modules)
>
> Well, konqy is more or less the heart of KDE, it shouldn't be be moved out
> of kdebase. And konsole is simply the best terminal I know.
Just a suggestion, leaving konqui/konsole inside won'T hurt me, just wanted to
show the real CORE desktop stuff, which does nothing more than windowmanager
+ desktop.

--
Christoph "Crossfire" Cullmann
Kate/KDE developer