Fwd: Re: Application duplication (was: Re: cdbakeoven)

aleXXX alexander.neundorf at gmx.net
Sun Apr 21 22:38:46 BST 2002

On Sunday 21 April 2002 10:54, Christoph Cullmann wrote:
> On Sunday 21 April 2002 02:14, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > If you keep that in mind and then look at CVS you see that kdelibs
> > implements 1), kdebase implements 2) and the other modules together with
> > 3rd party apps are responsible for 3).
>
> My thoughts about my prefererred KDE module list ;)
>
> 1. KDELIBS
> - plain libs + interfaces, nothing else
>
> 2. KIOSLAVES
> - the most common IO slaves, as they are very essential for third party
> apps, which would not need kdebase (for example kmail would than only
> depend on kdelibs + kdeioslaves + kdeparts and not kdebase, or ?)

Yes, I had exactly the same idea today. At work we only installed kdebase and
kdenetwork to get the smb (or smbro) and the lan ioslave.
Additionally ioslaves are not very big (code-wise), so this modules won't get
to big even with many ioslaves.

> 2. KDEPARTS
> - most common kparts (khtml part, konsole part, kate part, ...), could be

Yes, and kghostview, kview

> in kdelibs, too, but if we get more important parts, kdelibs would grow
> even if not really everybody needs these parts for development of kde apps
> (as they are more a runtime than a link time thingy, as long as the common
> interfaces are in the libs)
>
> 3. KDEBASE
> - kwin, kicker, kdesktop, kdm, kcontrol, just the sceleton of the desktop
> environment (like Waldo wanted), no other apps (which means move konsole,
> kate, kaddressbook, konqueror and some others to the matching kdeutils,
> kdenetwork, .... modules)

Well, konqy is more or less the heart of KDE, it shouldn't be be moved out of
kdebase. And konsole is simply the best terminal I know.

Bye
Alex