Fwd: Re: Application duplication (was: Re: cdbakeoven)

Carsten Pfeiffer carpdjih at sp.zrz.tu-berlin.de
Sat Apr 20 15:12:20 BST 2002

On Saturday 20 April 2002 16:21, Martijn Klingens wrote:

> Actually, I think you should make that example a bit more task oriented as
> well: Suppose you want to play audio CDs and there was only a single brand
> offering only a single model cd player, would you like that? I think having
> choise is good.

Concerning CDs (and drives), Windows does it right: you have that drive icon
and right-clicking you can perform all those tasks that you can do with the
given drive. E.g. formatting it, watching its status etc. Or, if it's a CD,
you can launch its setup-program, play it (if it's an audio cd), etc.

We have extra programs "kscd" and "kfloppy" and "kdf" for those tasks,
somewhere in our K-Menu, completely separate from the drive they're operating
on (its representation, the icon). :(

Cheers
Carsten Pfeiffer