Fwd: Re: Application duplication (was: Re: cdbakeoven)

Joseph Wenninger jowenn at jowenn.at
Sat Apr 20 13:00:21 BST 2002

On Saturday 20 April 2002 09:34, Raffaele Sandrini wrote:
> On Saturday 20 April 2002 10:47, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> > I think we need to "outsource" certain apps to their standalone versions
> > not included directly in the core KDE distribution modules like kdebase
> > and have one solution (preferrably the best and simplest to use for the
> > user) that ships with the base modules.
>
> I agree. Its just the sight we looking at KDE. Is KDE a complete all in one
> soltuion for all tasks? OR Is KDE a basic solution wich lets u add all
> sorts of modules?
> Compared with Windows: Windows is definitly the second one. Its just a
> Windowig System with some basic add ons. Examples: If u get windows u have
> "notepad" or "wordpad" both are basic tools for editing eather text or
> documents. If u want more then u can get Word or on the notpad side u can
> get a complex Editor OF UR CHOICE.
> I hate comparing with M$ Windows but in that case....
> I think we schould try to get KDE at the same point. So that KDE is a
> WindowManager with some add ons. There are some basic tools in it and - of
> course all System Tools. Everything outside should be outsourced.
>

> I heard some they on that list that Kate is the
> successor of Kwrite. But why the hell is Kwrite still in the distri if it
> was successed?

KWrite Is a simple wrapper around the kate part we kept in, for those
accustomed to the old kwrite application. If the majority of the core devs is
for removing it, I don't have a problem with it.

> The main probem if we try to do an all in one solution is that everyone
> likes to contribute in his way. He doesn't like that special burn tool so
> he makes his own one. Nothing against that. Same on the Windows side: If u
> don't want to use Nero u can use Instant CD, WinOnCD or another tool. I
> think we should handle that the same way.

Or the old Gear 4.0 ;)

The only problem as with IE and Netscape/Mozilla on windows is, if there is
one solution within the main KDE distribution there is no real and fair
competition anymore. "Why should I install Netscape, Opera, ....., if I
already have IE." Why should I install kreatecd/cdbakeoven/.....  if I
already have ..../cdbakeoven/kreatecd ?

The problem is, even before I added kreatecd to the KDE CVS, KDE has become
some all in one solution.

Kind regards
Joseph Wenninger