Fwd: Re: Application duplication (was: Re: cdbakeoven)

Raffaele Sandrini sandrini at kde.org
Sat Apr 20 10:34:29 BST 2002

On Saturday 20 April 2002 10:47, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> I think we need to "outsource" certain apps to their standalone versions
> not included directly in the core KDE distribution modules like kdebase and
> have one solution (preferrably the best and simplest to use for the user)
> that ships with the base modules.

I agree. Its just the sight we looking at KDE. Is KDE a complete all in one
soltuion for all tasks? OR Is KDE a basic solution wich lets u add all sorts
of modules?
Compared with Windows: Windows is definitly the second one. Its just a
Windowig System with some basic add ons. Examples: If u get windows u have
"notepad" or "wordpad" both are basic tools for editing eather text or
documents. If u want more then u can get Word or on the notpad side u can get
a complex Editor OF UR CHOICE.
I hate comparing with M$ Windows but in that case....
I think we schould try to get KDE at the same point. So that KDE is a
WindowManager with some add ons. There are some basic tools in it and - of
course all System Tools. Everything outside should be outsourced. That
doesn't mean that it can't be developped with KDE but the apps shouldn't be
in the main Distri. Kate, Kedit, Kwrite are good examples. They are
redundant. okok Kedit is more basic but hey... whats is the prpose of Kedit
if we have Kwrite? I heard some they on that list that Kate is the successor
of Kwrite. But why the hell is Kwrite still in the distri if it was
successed?

The main probem if we try to do an all in one solution is that everyone likes
to contribute in his way. He doesn't like that special burn tool so he makes
his own one. Nothing against that. Same on the Windows side: If u don't want
to use Nero u can use Instant CD, WinOnCD or another tool. I think we should
handle that the same way.
This way the user has also to choose but is another way to do it. If he has
everything installed on his system then hes confused. If he has to install it
seperately then doesn't care much about the other solutions.

Some of u will say: "Ok, if we take them outside the distributors will install
them - so they are installed anyway" Yes, thats correct. If i think of suse
for example. They install far more packages than there in our distri. But
thats their responsability.

BTW: We have such an approach in Koffice Kdevolp and so on.

cheers,
Raffaele

--
Raffaele Sandrini <sandrini at kde.org>