Fwd: Re: Application duplication (was: Re: cdbakeoven)

Thomas Zander zander at planescape.com
Sat Apr 20 15:24:46 BST 2002

On Sat, Apr 20, 2002 at 11:34:29AM +0200, Raffaele Sandrini wrote:
> On Saturday 20 April 2002 10:47, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> That
> doesn't mean that it can't be developped with KDE but the apps shouldn't be
> in the main Distri. Kate, Kedit, Kwrite are good examples. They are
> redundant. okok Kedit is more basic but hey... whats is the prpose of Kedit
> if we have Kwrite? I heard some they on that list that Kate is the successor
> of Kwrite. But why the hell is Kwrite still in the distri if it was
> successed?

I think this is a very good example of a bad interface.
We have a submenu in the K menu named 'editors' Then we have 5 (in my case)
editors in there which are _all_ text editors.  The comment in the KMenu also
says 'text editor' for each application.
In this case there are 5 applications labeled exactly the same with different
names.  (Enjoy the pun ;)
No wonder its confusing.

The menu name 'editor' is confusing in itself; only programmers will see an
editor as a text editor.  My dad will see editing his bank account as an
acceptable application in the editors section.

The x editor should be labled as old/legacy or whatever. It does not belong in
the KDE stable since its interface is quite different.

--
Thomas Zander                                            zander at earthling.net