Go button in Konqueror hidden by ">>"

John Firebaugh jfirebaugh at kde.org
Thu Apr 18 04:27:19 BST 2002

On Wednesday 17 April 2002 7:40, Cristian Tibirna wrote:
> On Wednesday, 17 April 2002 21:29, John Firebaugh wrote:
> > In reference to:
> >
> > http://bugs.kde.org/db/26/26553.html
> >
> > Please review the attached patch.
>
> This indeed makes the Go button appear in the >> menu now (when the >> is
> present), which is already better. So, from this POV, I'd say, commit (and
> notice qt-bugs), as this handles the 1-pixel-only overflow that can appear
> with any other toolbar. But IMHO we should find why the heck the >> button
> appears there in the first place.

Hmm... the patch was supposed to make the >> menu disappear. I have a custom
toolbar configuration, and it does work for me... Hmm, it also works for the
default configuration. Are you sure you are running qt with the patch? It
definitely fixes it for me.

> I start to believe it's a redraw/layout error in the ... qcombobox! Or in
> the qtoolbar/ktoolbar when a qcombobox is inserted into it. I attempt to
> look into this, but I will just explain my observations, maybe somebody
> knows already what happens (wish Sven was still around).

It is a bug in QToolbar, hence the patch to QToolbar. :) It is miscalculating
which buttons need to go in the menu. The layout code for Q/KToolbar is
complex but as far as I can see, correct.

> As I'd expect it, the dropdown should gain a horizontal scrollbar as soon
> as its width becomes too small for the longest item in it. It doesn't.
>
> On the contrary, it seems that at the very moment the dropdown becomes one
> pixel (or more) narrower than the longest item, the layout of the qcombobox
> seems to be reported miscalculated (obviously some "off by one" error), it
> pushes the Go button one pixel (always one pixel) over the edge of the
> toolbar, and the >> button automatically appears because the sum of all
> toolbar elements is always one pixel larger than the lenght of the toolbar.

I don't see this effect. The sizeHint() of the comboBox is indeed larger than
the actual width it gets, but that is not a bug. On my system, with the patch
the go button appears always on the right, but not over the edge of the
toolbar.

-John