Mimetype names (Re: mimetypes for zipped files)

Nicolas Goutte nicog at snafu.de
Thu Apr 11 21:14:14 BST 2002

On Wednesday 10 April 2002 23:21, Marc Mutz wrote:

> On Wednesday 10 April 2002 22:44, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > In the past, it was simply a relative path. Recently, as http has become
> > common, it was decided that the system id should be a http address.
> > However, it can still be a local path if your file is not public.
> >
> > You need a valid system id for programs like xmllint (in --valid mode) or
> > such programs cannot use the DTD.
>
> <snip>
>
> xmllint can do:
> xmllint --dtdvalid /path/to/local/copy/of.dtd file.xml
> IIRC, libxml2 itself can use a catalog to find the dtd for a given
> publicID.

Yes, but it is more difficult to explain to somebody than:
  xmllint --valid file.xml

David Faure has chosen to have them on http://www.koffice.org , not on
http://www.kde.org

> So, we still should have a location under www.kde.org (and I'd include the
> year just to be consistent; also we might see ourselves producing _more_
> (versions of) DTDs than the W3C!) for the kpartgui.dtd.

I am still not sure. A normative body like W3C is perhaps oriented by years,
but KDE is more oriented by versions.

> The question is whether the system ID should point to the www.kde.org
> address, or whether the install process replaces it with the actual path on
> the system. I don't like the latter since we can always use --dtdvalid with
> xmllint during the build and Qt isn't a validating parser anyway AFAIK, so
> we never get any background network activity.

No, it seems to be clear that an Internet address is needed. That is the
current practice for W3C.

If a user needs a local address, he can do it himself (or he should not do it,
if he is not knowing what he is doing.)

> Marc
>
> - --
> Marc Mutz <mutz at kde.org>