Inactive mailing lists

Nicolas Fella nicolas.fella at gmx.de
Thu Apr 27 23:10:25 BST 2023

Am 27.04.23 um 23:42 schrieb Joseph P. De Veaugh-Geiss:
> Cross-posting to the relevant mailing lists.
>
> To discuss, please answer to kde-community at kde.org.
>
> tl;dr There are several inactive or unused lists of the 181 mailing
> lists at KDE. What do we want to do with them?
>
> This is a post about inactive or unused mailing lists. For a general
> discussion about (active) mailing lists at KDE, please start a new
> thread or wait until I address that, likely in the very near future.
>
> _Inactive Mailing Lists_
>
> For a better understanding of what works and what needs improvement in
> KDE's internal communications, I started by looking at the 181 mailing
> lists publicly listed at:

> Here I see 51 mailing lists which might be considered inactive, some
> of which were never used at all. There may be more to add to this upon
> further inspection, but these seem like a good place to start.
>
> By inactive I mean there has been very low or no activity in the past
> 2-3 years at least, and for most lists the last post was 4+ years ago.
> For several of these lists, there are long gaps in activity, often
> with no community responses to the most recent posts.
>
> The 51 mailing lists are included at the end of this email.
>
> Importantly, I know a list with infrequent activity is *not* the same
> as a list that has no activity. Some communities do not need regular
> communication for that community to be active. If you see your
> community's mailing list here and think it is a mistake, please let me
> know! My apologies in advance if this is the case.
>
> Crucially, do not interpret an inactive mailing list to mean a project
> is inactive. It only means the mailing list is not a frequently used
> channel of communication. There are many other channels for community
> discussion (e.g., Matrix, Discuss, etc.).
>
> _Some Questions To The KDE Community_
>
>  * What do we want to do with inactive or unused mailing lists?
>
>  * Is there a policy for retiring inactive lists? I didn't see
> anything at the Community Wiki. [1]
>
>  * Does KDE have internal infrastructure to archive mailing lists for
> posterity? I see kwrite-devel [2] archived old posts at the "Mailing
> list ARChives" [3].
>
>  * Do we want to nudge traffic from low activity mailing lists to
> somewhere with generally higher activity (specifically, I am thinking
> Discuss)? I can imagine being in a more active online space could
> increase general participation for otherwise low activity groups.
>
> _Inactive Lists: To Close Or Not To Close_
>
> I am sure there are reasons both for and against closing mailing
> lists. Here are just some reasons I can think of to close inactive ones:
>
>  * The more communication channels there are, the more fractured KDE's
> communication is.
>
>  * It may not be obvious to new (or even old) contributors that a list
> is no longer in use, resulting in wasted energy signing up for an
> inactive one.
>
>  * Trying to engage with an inactive list may reduce motivation for
> [...]

Hi,

there's various foo-bugs at kde.org lists in your list. Those (sometimes)
have a specific aspect, which is that they are the default assignee on
bugs.kde.org for that project.

There's something funky about it though. For example
kdelibs-bugs at kde.org is the default assignee for the frameworks-kirigami
product, so the archive should show lots of mails from that, but doesn't.

Whether this is a good use of mailing lists is of course up for debate.

Cheers

Nico

PS: Evaluating how "Default Assignee" and generally automatic
subscription to bugreports works could be a good idea. Currently the
established way to get CC'd on bugs for a specific thing is to tell Nate
"Please CC me for XY bugs" and then Nate does some obscure config to
make it happen