ISCAS and openEuler are launching an alternative to Google Summer of Code

Philippe Cloutier chealer at gmail.com
Tue May 11 03:49:10 BST 2021

Hi Guilherme,

Le 2021-05-09 à 14:46, Guilherme a écrit :

> Hello KDE Community,
>
> The Institute of Software Chinese Academy of Sciences (ISCAS)and the
> openEuler Linux distribution are launching their own alternative to
> Google's Summer of Code initiative.
>
> Accoding to Phoronix, they're "providing university-aged students
> around the world funding by the Institute of Software Chinese Academy
> of Sciences to work on community open-source projects." and the
> "Mentors will also be paid for their time."
>
> The deadline for communities to apply is May 20th. More details can be
> seen here <https://summer.iscas.ac.cn/help/en/community/> (community
> guidelines), here <https://summer.iscas.ac.cn/help/en/mentor/> (for
> Mentors) and here <https://summer.iscas.ac.cn/help/en/> (FAQ).
>
> There's also more info on Phoronix
> <https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=China-Summer-2021-Open-Source>
>
> I don't have time or the expertise to contributewith this initiative,
> but I think this is something the KDE Community could keep an eye on,
> as it could help with the development of KDE software just like Google
> Summer of Code does.
>
> Thanks for reading.

Thanks to you for sharing, I hadn't heard about that yet. It would be
interesting to find or create and share a comparison with GSoC.

So far, what strikes the most is the student support, which varies
between 6000 and 12000 RMB. GSoC's stipends diminished a lot since
inception (even nominally), but they remain way more competitive for a
comparable time investment ("a summer"). At best 1 538 € for writing an
application plus a summer of work will generate limited interest by
Western standards, in particular considering that this doesn't come with
Google's prestige.
Comparison:
https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/help/student-stipends

On the other hand, the incentive for organizations is much better, in
the absolute: "Each project will be awarded RMB 5,000", which is 641 €.
Unfortunately, I'm afraid getting KDE e.V. to apply would still be the
hardest part this year, given the May 20th deadline. Considering we've
never participated in this program, we'd need very motivated volunteers
to achieve that. Realistically, it's not a bad thing to let other
organizations iron out the program and hope it comes back next year,
when we could evaluate participation earlier and use feedback from other
organizations to judge if it's smooth and reliable.

--
Philippe Cloutier
http://www.philippecloutier.com